Division Chief Eric Zanteson met with management from local grocery stores including, Vons, Ralphs, Pavilions and Trader Joe’s to ensure all safety precautions are in place to protect their workers and shoppers. The stores have reported that the CDC and local health officials have provided them with guidelines on best health and safety practices. These guidelines include (but are not limited to) the following measures which are currently in place in local stores:
- Reducing the occupancy load by 50%. Ralphs reported that they have achieved a further reduction to only allow a 25% occupancy load which is approximately 80 patrons in the store at any one time.
- Measures to Support Social Distancing: Ensuring patrons remain at least 6’ – 10’ apart. Additional staff members are positioned at entrances and throughout the stores to ensure social distancing is being adhered to. Stores are also experimenting with one-way isles and directional flow to help maintain safe distances.
- Plexiglas Barriers: Plexiglas barriers have been installed at all check stands.
- PPE’s for Crew Members: Crew members are provided gloves, face coverings and facilities to ensure proper hand hygiene.
- Regular cleaning and disinfecting: This includes regularly disinfectingshopping carts, registers and any other high-contact surfaces.
- Wellness checks of employees prior to starting work: Stores are providing wellness checks, including temperature checks, prior to each shift. Policies are also in place directing staff members to not report to work if they have any symptoms associated with COVID-19.
In addition to discussing best practices, the management we spoke with were fully committed and understood the importance of working together to keep their workers and our community as safe as possible.